Stood in that long queue for Aadhaar application, went through those procedures and got your Aadhaar card, but some details are wrong? Don’t worry. You are not alone. There are many people who have got the wrong details on their Aadhaar card either because it was captured wrongly or because their details like their address have changed. The good news is that you can correct those wrong details on your Aadhaar card.
In fact, making a correction on your Aadhaar card is not complicated. This process doesn’t take much of your time too. You can do it online or at enrolment centres. What are the details that can be corrected? You can update information such as your name (if spelt incorrectly), your address and your mobile number. Here’s how you can go about the process.
Correcting your details online
- If you want to correct your Aadhaar details in the comfort of your home, you will have to visit the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) website. You can use this link – https://uidai.gov.in/enrolment-update/aadhaar-enrolment/aadhaar-data-update.html.
- You can correct only your address details online.
- Click on the ‘Address Update Request (Online)’ link.
- The link will redirect you to the Aadhaar Self-Service Update Portal.
- When you click on ‘Proceed’, you will be asked to enter your Aadhaar number and a text verification code.
- Once you enter the required details, you will get a One Time Password (OTP) on your registered mobile number.
- This process is to verify your identity and to prevent fraudulent changes to Aadhaar cards.
- You will now be able to update your address.
- You will have to provide proof for the new address that you want on your Aadhaar card.
- When you submit, your Aadhaar details will be submitted to UIDAI
- You can check the status of your update on the UIDAI website.
Correcting your details using snail mail
- You can change your address by sending the update form and supporting documents by post. For this, you will have to visit the UIDAI website.
- Click on the link ‘Address Update Request (By Post)’. This will take you to the AADHAAR ADDRESS UPDATE/CORRECTION FORM.
- Download the form.
- Fill in all the details such as your name and address. The form will have details regarding the supporting documents that are accepted by UIDAI. Documents such as passport, bank statement, ration card and voter ID can be used as address proof.
- Send the form with supporting documents to UIDAI’s Hyderabad office.
- The address: UIDAI, Post Box Number 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad – 500034.
Correct details at the enrolment centre
- Some details such as your name and mobile number can be corrected only by visiting a Permanent Enrolment Centre (PEC).
- You can even update your biometric details by visiting an enrolment center.
- A nominal fee is usually charged for making corrections in your Aadhaar card.
- You can search for enrolment centers near your house by visiting the UIDAI website.
Not got your Aadhaar card yet? There are many benefits to getting one. Some of them are:
- Speedy passport –Aadhaar cardholders can get their passport within about 10 days of applying for it. Police verification is done after the passport is issued.
- Verifying your IT returns – You can verify your Income Tax (IT) returns online if you have an Aadhaar linked bank account.
Aadhaar has now been made mandatory for a number of services including investing in mutual funds. So, get your Aadhaar card as soon as you can.